Canoe landing place, Roseau Bay Front 1899. Before there were motorable roads on Dominica many people from the coastal villages used canoes to get to Roseau. They landed on the stony beach near to the Old Roseau Market, not far from Fort Young. The shed in the top left hand corner was for storing produce in preparation for shipping. Above it is the flagstaff of Fort Young which was then the Police Headquarters.